The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey (ACLU-NJ) seeks a Part-Time Data Assistant to help the Pratt Criminal Justice Transparency Project meet its goals by assisting with and carrying out the input, maintenance, and organization of criminal justice research data and information.
The Data Assistant helps the ACLU-NJ document and analyze criminal justice data from law enforcement sources throughout the state, developing critical information in the quest for criminal justice reform. The Data Assistant position is based in the ACLU-NJ’s downtown Newark office, which houses 19 full-time staff members and many volunteers.
Founded in 1960, the ACLU of New Jersey is the state’s leading organization dedicated to defending and advancing civil liberties and civil rights. The ACLU-NJ fights for criminal justice reform, free speech, racial justice, privacy, immigrants’ rights, LGBTQ rights, and voting rights, among many others. The ACLU-NJ and its tens of thousands of members, activists, and supporters defend the principle that every individual's rights must be protected equally under the law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourage women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Data Management: The Data Assistant will be responsible for “cleaning” and formatting large data sets for export into statistical software, and tasked with the entry of data received through public records requests into Excel. Occasional review of previously entered data may also be required.
- Data Analysis: The Data Assistant should be able to conduct basic descriptive analysis, which involves the ability to summarize and identify trends in the data sample, as well as create tables and graphs for organizational reports or publications.
- Administrative and Miscellaneous: The Data Assistant will be expected to provide regular reports on the progress of data entry, maintain hard copy data files and electronic files of corresponding datasets, and coordinate and review volunteer work product, all under the direction of the Criminal Justice Transparency Fellow.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel.
- Experience building and managing original data sets.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced environment, potentially handling multiple projects simultaneously and working with a range of timelines.
The following attributes are a plus, but not required:
- Passion for working to end mass incarceration and commitment to the ACLU-NJ’s mission.
- Experience creating and maintaining code books in an educational or professional setting.
- Knowledge of statistical software such as Stata, SPSS, SAS, or R.
- Demonstrated interest in quantitative research. Familiarity with criminal justice data and research.
- B.A./B.S. degree.
The salary for the Part-Time Data Assistant is $15.00 per hour. The position will require a commitment to 10-15 hours a week with a flexible schedule, though additional hours may be occasionally requested.
To apply, complete the form below. Application materials sent via postal mail, e-mail or fax will not be accepted. No calls please. Resumes reviewed upon receipt. Position will remain open until filled.
The ACLU-NJ is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, nationality, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy), familial status, marital status, domestic partnership or civil union status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, genetic information, liability for military service, and mental or physical disability, perceived disability, and AIDS and HIV status.