We are no longer accepting applications for this position. For opportunities in other ACLU offices, please visit https://www.aclu.org/careers. Thank you for your interest in the ACLU of New Jersey!
The ACLU of New Jersey is looking for a creative and dynamic team player to coordinate its intake and internship programs.
Every year, the ACLU-NJ receives thousands of complaints alleging violations of civil rights and civil liberties. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for managing the ACLU-NJ’s intake database and overseeing correspondence with people seeking support and legal help, including supervising a team of intake interns and volunteers. In partnership with the legal team, the Program Coordinator will proactively identify complaints for further investigation and action. The Program Coordinator will also support all departments by managing the recruitment, hiring, training, and supervision of the ACLU-NJ’s growing internship and volunteer program.
We are seeking a person who is a problem-solver and who is passionate about civil rights and civil liberties. We are looking for candidates who have experience managing others and coordinating projects, and who succeed in environments where they are the go-to person to resolve questions and implement next steps.
The ACLU-NJ, headquartered in Newark with a full-time staff of 25, works in every corner of our state to defend the principles of civil rights and individual liberties. The ACLU-NJ values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants, including women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people who are gender diverse, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness, people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal justice, child welfare, or immigration systems, and people who have personal experience with other issues we work on.
Intake Program Responsibilities (60% of the job)
- Review and assess requests for assistance, distinguishing complaints of interest from ones with which the ACLU-NJ cannot assist. Respond to requests as appropriate, including providing information or referrals to external resources.
- Investigate selected civil liberties complaints: help develop facts and perform some basic research
- Draft background memos and response letters to complainants
- Maintain and develop resource materials, website information, and training materials
- Maintain the ACLU-NJ’s intake database and files, ensuring that the intake records are accurate, up-to-date, and well organized
- Examine intake data and produce periodic reports to the Legal Director
- Complete other special projects for the Legal Department as needed
Intern & Volunteer Program Responsibilities (40% of the job)
- Recruit interns and volunteers (including coordinating the recruitment of graduate and law students), including posting openings, interviewing, and developing relationships with schools
- Supervise intake interns and volunteers, and coordinate the supervision of legal and other program interns and volunteers
- Develop and lead training program to acclimate interns and volunteers to ACLU-NJ mission, priorities, policies, and procedures and organize learning opportunities regarding civil rights and civil liberties issues
- Maintain human resources files for interns and volunteers
Experience and Qualifications
- Ability to stay organized and manage time effectively
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Supervision skills and enthusiasm for managing interns and volunteers
- Ability to take initiative, problem-solve, multi-task, and work independently
- Dependable, punctual, and able to responsibly handle confidential information
- Skills in empathizing with people who are experiencing extreme stress or who have experienced trauma
- Working understanding of civil liberties and civil rights
- Ability to work well with people with a wide range of backgrounds, interests, skills, concerns, and personalities, including respect for the perspectives of people from many cultures and life experiences
- A strong commitment to racial equity and social justice
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and experience with mail merge, spreadsheets, and databases
- Familiarity with New Jersey courts and government preferred
The salary for this position starts at $47,000, depending on experience, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Benefits for first-year employees currently include 16 days paid time off in addition to 11 office holidays and 12 health care leave days; medical, vision, and dental insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; pre-tax transit benefits; and 401(k) plan with employer match.
To apply, complete the application form below and upload a resume and letter of interest. Your letter should explain ways in which you satisfy the skills and qualifications specified above. We also invite applicants to include in their letter information about how their background and/or experiences could contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and advocacy work.
Application materials will also be accepted via postal mail, but electronic filing is strongly preferred. Mailed applications should be sent c/o Legal Department. The position will remain open until filled.
The ACLU-NJ is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity, including those characteristics protected by law and beyond. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The more inclusive we are, the better we are.