The ACLU of New Jersey is looking for an organized and dynamic team player to manage its Legal Department operations. This newly-created position is designed to manage and strengthen operational aspects of the department and serve as the department’s liaison to the office’s human resources, technology, and administrative staff.
The ACLU of New Jersey’s Legal Department currently has eight attorneys and two administrative staffers. We are seeking a person who is passionate about civil rights and civil liberties, has experience managing projects, improving systems, and supervising staff, and is committed to supporting a work culture of equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
The ACLU-NJ, headquartered in Newark with a full-time staff of more than 25, works in every corner of our state to defend the principles of civil rights and individual liberties. The ACLU-NJ values a diverse work environment and encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, as well as people who have experienced poverty or homelessness, people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, child welfare, or immigration systems, and people who have personal experience with other issues on which we work.
- Manage hiring, onboarding, and professional development for the Legal Department, including recruitment and training of lawyers, legal fellows, staff, and interns;
- Supervise the Legal Department’s administrative team and manage workloads;
- Manage the internship program, including supervising interns and arranging programming
- Manage the intake program, including ensuring timely reviews, accurate records and periodic reporting on trends;
- Strengthen and/or develop operations and systems including case tracking, conflicts checks, calendaring, timekeeping, expense tracking and develop policies and procedures manual;
- Manage departmental vendors and contracts (e.g., malpractice insurance, library and research tools)
- Manage all Legal Department content on the ACLU-NJ website; and
- Strengthen and support the recruitment and retention of pro bono volunteer attorneys and firms.
While no one person will have all of the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Experience in the operations of a legal services organization;
- Confidence in taking initiative, thinking creatively, problem solving, working well under pressure, and managing projects effectively;
- Excellent supervision skills and enthusiasm for managing people;
- Strong oral and written communications skills, including editing and proofreading skills.
- A positive attitude and the ability to maintain balance and perspective even when encountering challenges;
- Experience working collaboratively and coordinating responsibilities with colleagues on projects;
- A demonstrated commitment to the mission of the ACLU-NJ, including to equity and racial justice;
- Strong organizational and time management skills, and attention to detail;
- Ability to work well with people with a wide range of backgrounds, interests, skills, concerns, and personalities, including respect for the perspectives of people from many cultures and life experiences;
- Experience using software/technology that supports legal operations (e.g., case management, time-keeping, etc.);
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and experience with spreadsheets, and databases;
- Flexibility to work beyond the regular work week as needed;
- Familiarity with New Jersey courts and government.
The salary will be in accordance with the ACLU of New Jersey salary scale, depending on experience, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Excellent benefits for first-year employees currently include 16 days paid time off in addition to 11 office holidays and 12 health care leave days; medical, vision, and dental insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; pre-tax transit benefits; and 401(k) plan with employer match.
To apply, complete the application form below and upload a resume and letter of interest. Your letter should explain ways in which you satisfy the skills and qualifications specified above. We also invite applicants to include in their letter information about how their background and/or experiences could contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and advocacy work.
Application materials will also be accepted via postal mail, but electronic filing is strongly preferred. Mailed applications should be sent c/o Legal Department. The position will remain open until filled.
The ACLU-NJ is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity, including those characteristics protected by law and beyond. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The more inclusive we are, the better we are.
The ACLU-NJ is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.