Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our liberty depends upon the chaos and cacophony of the unfettered speech the First Amendment protects.
— Judge Stewart R. Dalzell, ACLU v. Reno
The ACLU of New Jersey is a leader in working to extend civil liberties principles to new electronic communications. As more and more people go online, the Bill of Rights needs to go with them to protect freedom of speech, access to information, and privacy. From legal advocacy to lobbying to public education, defining and defending civil liberties in cyberspace is an increasingly important part of our work.
- October 16, 2018 Ed Barocas, an NJ Legal Giant, Retires as ACLU-NJ Legal Director
- June 9, 2014 Gov. Chris Christie gets D+ in Civil Rights and Liberties from ACLU-NJ
- May 30, 2014 Where Do the 12th Congressional District Candidates Stand on Civil Rights and Liberties Issues
- June 16, 2010 ACLU-NJ Celebrates 50 Years on the Front Lines of Freedom
- July 29, 2004 Appeals Court Protects Anonymous Internet Critics of NJ Company
- July 28, 2004 Federal Appeals Court Clears Way For ACLU Lawsuit Over FBI Censorship of Website
- July 27, 2004 Red Alert - ACLU-NJ Calls Counter-Terrorism Chief's Comments Counter-Productive