Free elections are essential to democracy. The ACLU-NJ protects everyone’s right to vote.
Know Your Voting Rights
- November 20, 2019 NJ Advocates Demand Up-Or-Down Vote on Marijuana Legalization Bill
- November 6, 2019 ACLU-NJ: Legislators, Don’t Leave Unfinished Business – Pass Key Social Justice Bills in Lame Duck
- June 10, 2019 Disclosure Bill Will Invite a Lawsuit If It Becomes Law
- December 17, 2018 Shelving of Redistricting Vote is a Victory for Democracy
- October 16, 2018 Ed Barocas, an NJ Legal Giant, Retires as ACLU-NJ Legal Director
- March 27, 2018 ACLU-NJ: Census Question on Citizenship Undermines Democracy
- January 16, 2018 ACLU-NJ: We Congratulate New Governor and Hope to Advance Civil Rights and Liberties
- November 7, 2017 NJ and VA Can Show What State-Level Resistance Looks Like
- July 5, 2017 ACLU-NJ to NJ: Don’t Hand Voter Info to Sham Commission
- June 6, 2017 Missing: 39,527 New Jersey Voters
- Correa v. Grossi
Can a voter receive a bilingual sample ballot and then a single language official ballot?
- Natasha Marchick v. Middlesex County Board of Elections
County not properly counting provisional ballots.
- Ertel, Figgins, Jones v. Essex County Board of Elections
Voting difficulties in the wake of Hurricane Sandy
- Rutgers University Student Assembly v. Middlesex County Board of Elections
Voters challenge obsolete voter registration requirements and seek election-day registration.
- 2010 Election for Mayor of South Amboy
Votes were not properly counted resulting in an election that was determined by one vote.
- In the Matter of the State DOE's Denial of Petition
Challenge to the Department of Education’s failure to implement regulations to enforce the High School Voter Registration Law, requiring schools to provide voting information and registration forms to eligible public and private school students.
- Gusciora v. Codey
Electronic voting machines prevent votes from being properly certified, re-examined and recounted the same way as paper ballots.
- In re: Attorney General Directive on Exit Polling
- Gause v. Borough of Hawthorne
- Galaxy Towers v. Galaxy Towers
- Democracy Act
Establishes Automatic Voter Registration through MVC; expands in-person early voting; modernizes electronic voter registration; expands vote-by-mail; expands voting access for military and overseas voters; enhances access to the polls for people with disabilities; enhances language access at polling places with significant population of non-English speakers.
- Ending Prison-Based Gerrymandering
Requires that the incarcerated persons be counted at their last known address before prison for political redistricting purposes, not the location where they are confined.
- November 2010 Post-Election Assessment (117k PDF)
- Making Every Vote Count: 2008 Elections issued May 2009 (2mb PDF)
- Voting Rights and Wrongs issued June 2008 (62k PDF)
- Making NJ's Votes Count (219k PDF) (2004)
For a complete list of voter registration forms available from the New Jersey Division of Elections, please visit http://www.njelections.org/voting-information-voter-registration-forms.html