True democracy demands government transparency. The ACLU-NJ strengthens the public’s right to hold officials accountable.
- October 19, 2017 ACLU-NJ Scorecard Shows Mixed Civil Liberties Records
- July 11, 2017 Transparency Victory: NJ Supreme Court Largely Sides with Police Accountability
- February 24, 2017 Judge Orders Middlesex County to Release Civil Forfeiture Records
- February 2, 2017 ACLU-NJ Files FOIA on Trump Immigration Ban
- November 9, 2016 Pivotal Police Accountability Case Argued at NJ Supreme Court
- August 25, 2016 Police Reform Blueprint Lays Out Platform for Accountability Statewide
- August 3, 2016 Wyckoff Police Chief Violated Ban on Biased Policing, Investigation Finds
- June 29, 2016 NJ Transit Decision to End Recording Passenger Audio a Win for Privacy
- April 18, 2016 ACLU-NJ Demands Details of NJ Transit Surveillance
- March 23, 2016 Make Every Week Sunshine Week
- Paff v. OCPO
The ACLU-NJ filed an amicus brief in support of a public records requester seeking access to police dashboard camera footage.
- ACLU-NJ v. DOH
The ACLU-NJ requested public records from the NJ Department of Health after the state issued a troubling quarantine policy.
- Bornstein v. County of Monmouth
County jail requests to seal court record of video footage of the last hours of an inmate’s life.
- Scheeler v. Office of the Governor
Governor’s Office denied OPRA request for all OPRA records concerning bridegate on the grounds that OPRA records are exempt from disclosure under OPRA.
- New Jersey Citizens United v. Federal Housing Finance Agency
FOIA request for information needed for advocacy was denied
- Education Law Center v. Schools Development Authority
Public records request for factual information denied on the grounds that it was deliberative material.
- Secondary Parents Council v. Newark Public Schools
Newark Public Schools refused to disclose documents that had been previously disclosed to another organization.
- Cattonar v. Jackson Township
Jackson Township refused to release Uniform Crime Report Data.
- ACLU-NJ v. Hendricks
Challenge to New Jersey tax dollars used to support religious schools.
- Mahronni Hidalgo v. Bradley Beach Board of Education
Board of Education wrongfully withholds survey responses.
- The Sunshine Law (Open Public Meetings Act) (382k PDF)
- Open Public Records Act (369k PDF)
- ACLU-NJ Open Governance Project Brochure (1.5mb PDF)
- Report Released on Failures of Open Government Meetings in N.J. (2007)
- How to use the Federal FOI Act: http://www.rcfp.org/foiact/index.html