Few decisions are more personal and intimate, more properly private, or more basic to individual dignity and autonomy, than a woman's decision whether to end her pregnancy. A woman's right to make that choice freely is fundamental.
— U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry A. Blackmun, Thornburgh v. American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists (1986)
A woman's right to decide whether or not to bear a child was secured in 1973 by the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade. The anti-choice movement continues to seek the passage of laws to restrict women's reproductive freedom, and anti-choice extremists have pursued a campaign of harassment and sometimes violence against abortion clinics and providers. The ACLU of New Jersey is a member of a statewide pro-choice coalition, which works to safeguard women's right to choose.
- Dec 2, 2009 Fight the Stupak Amendment!
- March 12, 2018 NJ Budget: Family Planning, Marijuana Legalization & Lawyers for Immigration Are Key
- February 15, 2018 Family Planning Funding on the Horizon After Long Battle in Trenton
- January 16, 2018 ACLU-NJ: We Congratulate New Governor and Hope to Advance Civil Rights and Liberties
- October 19, 2017 ACLU-NJ Scorecard Shows Mixed Civil Liberties Records
- June 30, 2015 As Governor, Presidential Candidate Christie Earned Low Marks
- December 22, 2014 ACLU-NJ Welcomes N.J. Supreme Court Upholding Rights of Mother Prescribed Methadone During Pregnancy
- June 9, 2014 Gov. Chris Christie gets D+ in Civil Rights and Liberties from ACLU-NJ
- May 30, 2014 Where Do the 12th Congressional District Candidates Stand on Civil Rights and Liberties Issues
- January 23, 2014 ACLU-NJ Applauds Enactment of Law Tackling Discrimination Against Pregnant Workers
- January 6, 2014 ACLU-NJ and National ACLU File Brief in Support of Woman’s Right to Make Medical Decisions During Pregnancy
- D.Y.F.S. v. Y.N.
Mother determined to have neglected her child based solely on the fact that she underwent Methadone treatment during her pregnancy.
- ACLU-NJ v. Hendricks
Challenge to New Jersey tax dollars used to support religious schools.
- Acuna v. Turkish
- Planned Parenthood of Central NJ v. Farmer
- Planned Parenthood v. Verniero
- Sojourner A. v. New Jersey Department of Human Services
- Corzine on My Mind (2009)
- For the 36th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade: Change (2009)
- How Far Women Have Come Since Roe v. Wade (2008)
- 'Abstinence Only' Policy Puts Teens at Risk (2008)
- More to do to Guarantee Reproductive Freedom (2007)
- Roe v. Wade Anniversary 2005 (2005)
- Minors' Rights to Confidential Reproductive Health Care/NJ (1mb PDF)
- A Guide to Minors' Rights to Confidential Reproductive Health Care for New Jersey Health Care Providers (101k PDF)