The ACLU-NJ defends students and young people whose civil liberties have come under assault, and we help young activists secure a future for freedom.
- State v. Zakariyya Ahmad
Amicus brief that addresses whether a defendant was in custody for the purposes of Miranda v. Arizona?
- State v. Romero
Amicus brief addressing whether the practical availability of parole should be considered when evaluating whether a sentence is the functional equivalent of life without parole.
- State v. Zarate
Amicus brief addressing sentencing of 14 year old convicted of murder.
- Conroy & H.S. v. Lacey Township School District
Students disciplined for non-disruptive off-campus speech.
- Abdur-Raheem v. New Jersey Department of Corrections
Challenge to the DOC policy prohibiting outgoing calls to cell phones.
- Latino Coalition, Fair Schools Red Bank v. Red Bank Charter School
Challenge to the re-chartering of Red Bank Charter School due to segregative impact.
- In re N.J.A.C. 6A:8
Challenge to discriminatory regulations requiring certain scores on PARCC standardized tests to receive diploma.
- Adam X v. NJ Departments of Corrections and Education
Challenge to the NJDOC and NJDOE’s failure to provide, and monitor the provision of, appropriate special education and related services to young people with disabilities in adult prisons in violation of federal law
- State in the interest of C.K.
Amicus brief in challenge to the lifetime registration provisions of Megan’s Law as applied to people who committed their crimes between the ages of 14 and 18.
- State in the interest of J.A.
Amicus brief in challenge to a case where the police searched a home without a warrant based on information they had from a robbery victim’s “Find My iPhone” application.
- August 11, 2021 Court Preliminarily Approves Landmark Settlement That Improves Special Education Services in New Jersey State Prisons
- August 26, 2019 School District Will Act to Correct Discriminatory Training Based on Gender Stereotypes
- June 13, 2019 Retired Legal Director Ed Barocas' Remarks on Receiving the Roger N. Baldwin Award
- April 10, 2019 Students suspended for posting gun photos on Snapchat file free-speech suit
- December 31, 2018 Court Strikes Down Graduation Testing Rules for NJ High Schoolers
- October 16, 2018 Ed Barocas, an NJ Legal Giant, Retires as ACLU-NJ Legal Director
- July 26, 2018 ACLU-NJ Sues 12 School Districts That Unconstitutionally Discriminate Against Immigrants
- May 8, 2018 Financial Aid Law Makes College Possible for More NJ Immigrant Students
- March 26, 2018 ACLU-NJ Hails Senate Votes on Financial Aid for Immigrant Students & Police Accountability
- March 1, 2018 ACLU-NJ Open Letter on Student Walkouts and Speech to Educators, Administrators, and Officials
- It's Prom Season ... Know Your Rights! (2009)
- Does your high school use internet filters? (2005)
- Join Our Teacher's Network!
Students' Rights Handbook
- Download a copy of the Students' Rights Handbook (291k PDF).
Minors' Rights to Confidential Reproductive Health Care
- Download a copy of the Minors' Rights to Confidential Reproductive Health Care/NJ (1.8mb PDF).
- Download a copy of Know Your Rights: Bullying (200k PDF).
- Descuergue una copia Conozca Sus Derechos: Acoso Estudiantil (201k PDF).
To see all publications the ACLU-NJ has available, please visit our Publications library.