The ACLU-NJ defends students and young people whose civil liberties have come under assault, and we help young activists secure a future for freedom.
- Richardson v. Wanaque
Town has an unconstitutional juvenile curfew ordinance
- Petition for Rule Making Regarding Student Eligibility for Financial Aid
Petition to financial aid agency to amend regulations to specify that student citizens can prove residency in New Jersey through the high school they attended or where they are registered to vote.
- Petition for Rulemaking for Juvenile Solitary Confinement
Petition urging the Juvenile Justice Commission to end solitary confinement of juveniles in their custody.
- Susan Coll-Guedes v. Cape May County Special Education School District
Public special education school separates students based on gender.
- State in the Interest of V.A.
What is the standard for court review of prosecutorial decisions to seek juvenile waivers?
- State in the Interest of A.W.
Are juveniles entitled to a translator during interrogation if their parents if they do not speak English.
- State in the Interest of A.D.
Juvenile’s criminal court case transferred from family division to adult criminal court.
- G.D.M v. Ramapo B.O.E.
School policy imposes consequences on students for non-school activity.
- R.S. v. Hudson County
Juvenile detained by the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office Gang Intelligence Unit.
- A.Z. v. H.E.S.A.A.
Student not given state financial aid because parent is an undocumented immigrant.
- May 8, 2018 Financial Aid Law Makes College Possible for More NJ Immigrant Students
- March 26, 2018 ACLU-NJ Hails Senate Votes on Financial Aid for Immigrant Students & Police Accountability
- March 1, 2018 ACLU-NJ Open Letter on Student Walkouts and Speech to Educators, Administrators, and Officials
- January 18, 2018 ACLU-NJ Report: NJ Dramatically Underuses Programs to Divert Children from Justice System
- December 20, 2017 New ACLU-NJ Guide Helps Families Steer Children From Justice System
- October 31, 2017 ACLU-NJ to Livingston: Random drug testing threatens students’ rights
- October 19, 2017 ACLU-NJ Scorecard Shows Mixed Civil Liberties Records
- June 2, 2017 We Need School in Prison, and States Must Take the Lead
- April 12, 2017 Appeal Filed Against Charter School Renewal in Segregated District
- March 2, 2017 ACLU-NJ to Appeal Discriminatory Charter School’s Renewal
- It's Prom Season ... Know Your Rights! (2009)
- Does your high school use internet filters? (2005)
- Join Our Teacher's Network!
Students' Rights Handbook
- Download a copy of the Students' Rights Handbook (291k PDF).
Minors' Rights to Confidential Reproductive Health Care
- Download a copy of the Minors' Rights to Confidential Reproductive Health Care/NJ (1.8mb PDF).
- Download a copy of Know Your Rights: Bullying (200k PDF).
- Descuergue una copia Conozca Sus Derechos: Acoso Estudiantil (201k PDF).
To see all publications the ACLU-NJ has available, please visit our Publications library.