The ACLU-NJ defends students and young people whose civil liberties have come under assault, and we help young activists secure a future for freedom.
- Latino Coalition, Fair Schools Red Bank v. Red Bank Charter School
Challenge to the re-chartering of Red Bank Charter School due to segregative impact.
- In re N.J.A.C. 6A:8
Challenge to discriminatory regulations requiring certain scores on PARCC standardized tests to receive diploma.
- Adam X v. New Jersey Department of Corrections and Department of Education
Challenge to DOC for failing to provide appropriate education to students with special education needs in violation of IDEA.
- State in the interest of C.K.
Amicus brief in challenge to the lifetime registration provisions of Megan’s Law as applied to people who committed their crimes between the ages of 14 and 18.
- State in the interest of J.A.
Amicus brief in challenge to a case where the police searched a home without a warrant based on information they had from a robbery victim’s “Find My iPhone” application.
- Richardson v. Wanaque
Town has an unconstitutional juvenile curfew ordinance
- Petition for Rule Making Regarding Student Eligibility for Financial Aid
Petition to financial aid agency to amend regulations to specify that student citizens can prove residency in New Jersey through the high school they attended or where they are registered to vote.
- Petition for Rulemaking for Juvenile Solitary Confinement
Petition urging the Juvenile Justice Commission to end solitary confinement of juveniles in their custody.
- Susan Coll-Guedes v. Cape May County Special Education School District
Public special education school separates students based on gender.
- State in the Interest of V.A.
What is the standard for court review of prosecutorial decisions to seek juvenile waivers?
- July 26, 2018 ACLU-NJ Sues 12 School Districts That Unconstitutionally Discriminate Against Immigrants
- May 8, 2018 Financial Aid Law Makes College Possible for More NJ Immigrant Students
- March 26, 2018 ACLU-NJ Hails Senate Votes on Financial Aid for Immigrant Students & Police Accountability
- March 1, 2018 ACLU-NJ Open Letter on Student Walkouts and Speech to Educators, Administrators, and Officials
- January 18, 2018 ACLU-NJ Report: NJ Dramatically Underuses Programs to Divert Children from Justice System
- December 20, 2017 New ACLU-NJ Guide Helps Families Steer Children From Justice System
- October 31, 2017 ACLU-NJ to Livingston: Random drug testing threatens students’ rights
- October 19, 2017 ACLU-NJ Scorecard Shows Mixed Civil Liberties Records
- June 2, 2017 We Need School in Prison, and States Must Take the Lead
- April 12, 2017 Appeal Filed Against Charter School Renewal in Segregated District
- It's Prom Season ... Know Your Rights! (2009)
- Does your high school use internet filters? (2005)
- Join Our Teacher's Network!
Students' Rights Handbook
- Download a copy of the Students' Rights Handbook (291k PDF).
Minors' Rights to Confidential Reproductive Health Care
- Download a copy of the Minors' Rights to Confidential Reproductive Health Care/NJ (1.8mb PDF).
- Download a copy of Know Your Rights: Bullying (200k PDF).
- Descuergue una copia Conozca Sus Derechos: Acoso Estudiantil (201k PDF).
To see all publications the ACLU-NJ has available, please visit our Publications library.